About The Blog
Welcome to www.futureofhumanity.org!
This new version of an old environmental website I owned and maintained since about 2002 is a blog . It’s an outgrowth of a distribution list, to which I sent environmental messages for several years. The blog, at its core, has two themes:
- Assessing the future of humanity on planet Earth
- Discussing the roles of population growth and per capita resource use growth in that future
It is intended to be educational in nature and contains links to web sites with information and organizations dealing with environmental issues around the world, with a concentration on the United States.
The original web site was up and running for a number of years, with relatively limited and static content for the last few. It was converted in November 2012 to the current web/blog format, to make it easier for readers to access old postings and to post their own comments.
Most postings are written by me, sometimes with significant excerpting from other sources, usually with links to the originals, but more often containing original material by the current author. Occasionally a guest writer’s contribution will be posted.
If you would like a quick cartoon video of what it’s all about, click this link.
Blog Launch Initial Posting: “Intentional Ignorance”
Please click to read my initial contribution to the blog, “Intentional Ignorance,” a summary statement of my understanding of where humanity sits at this critical turning point in our history.
Educational Materials Section
Please check out the postings at our Educational Materials Section.
- A slide show on the “Fate of Humanity”
- A chapter from my book Humanity’s Environmental Future titled “Misplaced Values.”
- A substantive tutorial by guest author, Dr. Albert Bartlett, on “The Meaning of Sustainability“.
- Notable quotes from a variety of writers: “Environmental Quotes“
- Related Links
Links to other web sites of interest to readers
- Added 19 April 2015: check this short new cartoon video of what it’s all about, what humanity is facing in the next generation or so.
If you know of some good quotes, send them along.
Here’s a sampling:
“We’re in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyone’s arguing over where they’re going to sit.” — David Suzuki
“What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?” — Henry David Thoreau
And there’s this:
Reporter: “What do you think of Western civilization”
Mahatma Gandhi: “I think it would be a good idea.”
Blog Comments Guidelines
- By registering to Comment on this site, you are acknowledging that you have read these guidelines and will abide by them.
- Remember that your comments will be published on this web site, so will be available to anyone visiting the site, meaning they will be public.
- Make your comments clear and professional.
- If you are on the notification list, your presence on that list will indicate that you are receiving notices of new postings. Being registered to comment is separate from the new-post-notification-list. (To get on the notification list, put your email address in the blank window at the bottom of the left-side menu illustrated below and then click the “Yes” button. To remove yourself from the new-post-notification-list, click on the “No” button.)
- A very small profanity filter has been added, so don’t count on it to catch everything. Common, mild profanities are permitted but discouraged.
- As an initial experiment, comments will not be filtered nor approved before posting. They will go up immediately after posting. If that gets out of hand, I may add more word filters or even change to approving comments before they are posted. Added in 2014: There is an automatic filter of spam responses which are generally way off topic. These are way too numerous for me to check, so are automatically not posted anywhere on the blog.
- If any of you would like an article of your own posted to the site, please send it to email@example.com. As editor, I will decide whether to post such articles but reserve the editor’s right to make some small editorial changes to correct spelling and grammatical errors. If substantive changes are contemplated, I will contact the author for permission and possible further revision before posting the revised article.
- If you wish to write to me privately about the site, please send that message to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will not share it with others.
Non-Profit, Non-Commercial Policy Statement
This site is intended to be a non-commercial, nonprofit, public forum on environmental topics. There should never be any ads on the site, nor fake links or other ad code anywhere. Please report any instances where you believe there is an advertisement. If you see something like that, it is probably ‘adware‘ software installed on your local computer, and is not in the content of this blog, as posted on the web.
Note: If you see normally innocent words like “educational” or “study” or “news” underlined and with blue font, and if a pop-up ad appears when you hover your cursor over it or when you click on it, most likely this is adware installed on your computer which places unwanted links on such words, the links being unrelated to the word to which it is attached.
— Ross McCluney